Trapdoor Collector Discussion Board
[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Previous | Previous in Thread | Next in Thread | Next ]
Re: Geronimo's last Springfield
Posted by Dick Hosmer on Saturday, 7 September 2019, at 3:39 p.m., in response to Re: Geronimo's last Springfield, posted by Lawrence F. Nirenberg on Saturday, 7 September 2019, at 2:31 p.m.
I'm not exactly clear on the goal here. You have a rifle which you think may appear in one or more period photos.
(1) Do you simply wish to verify that?
(2) Or do you wish to attempt to establish that the arm was actually used in the field (battle, hunting, whatever) by one or more historical figures?
(3) If the piece photographed was at one time a prop, which seems likely, even probable, that does not necessarily mean that it could not have seen prior use in the field. But proving THAT seems beyond possibility.
(4) As to where to look for supporting documentation - the National Archives would seem to be the best place, but such searches are expensive and very time consuming, considering the specificity of your target.
(7) Were I you, my first move would be to provide a FULL set of photos of your gun for peer review. No one knows everything, but anyone might be able to contribute some tid-bit which (forgive me) you might have missed. If the arm is NOT the one in the pictures it would save you one heck of a big wild goose chase.
Just some thoughts.
Post a New Response
Return to the Trapdoor Collector home page via this link.