Trapdoor Collector Discussion Board

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Previous | Next in Thread | Next ]

New to Trapdoors and have a few questions for the experts

Posted by Justin Stewart on Tuesday, 13 June 2017, at 3:47 p.m.

I have specific photos of what im talking about but not sure if i can submit them.

Ive always wanted a trapdoor and was able to save one from someone who didnt know what he had, and was letting it rust in a corner. Im trying to get it back into shape, but im stumped on a couple of things. First question, when i see photos of other buffington rear sights they have the two set screws, but my windage screw is different than others i have seen. It is a skinny screw that is smooth on the head of it, and has no knurled head for adjustment. Is it correct and just missing the head? Or should i find the standard style screw to replace it with? Second question, my serial number is 398419 which i believe means it was made in 1888, and i would like to confirm that and i also want to confirm that i get the correct parts. The rifle has some fine pitting overall with the 1873 marked breech block having the worst of it. Mainly because of the aesthetic issue, i would like to replace it with an 1884 marked wide breech block, would that be correct for this year? And i dont think my rifle would have had a ramrod bayonet, but just want to confirm that also, since there is no mount for it. I believe the parts i will need to get it back into shape will be an extractor/plunger/spring, a spring for the thumbpiece, a firing pin spring, a hammer screw, possibly rear sight screw and more than likely an 1884 marked wide breech block because the rough pitting on my current breech block detracts from the look of the rifle.

Thanks for any insight and information!


Post a New Response

Your Name:

E-Mail Address:


Please answer the riddle feature to prevent spam:    10 (plus+) 3 (equals =)


Return to the Trapdoor Collector home page via this link.