Trapdoor Collector Discussion Board

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Previous | Previous in Thread | Next ]


Re: 1873 carbine

Posted by Dick Hosmer on Tuesday, 10 February 2015, at 12:51 a.m., in response to 1873 carbine, posted by Nick peters on Monday, 9 February 2015, at 6:16 p.m.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "Custer range". At present there is a gap in 7th Cav attributions between 22268 and 32773, biut this is not an exact science, and we do not have all the records, by a long ways. There are about 70 carbines with varying degrees of associaiton with the 7th Cav.

The 20,073 1st Model carbines (ALL of which are from the "Custer period" since ALL were made pre-LBH) were made in three batches. ROUGHLY, those ranges in which those batches occur are 1-4500, 14500-23500, 32000-48500.

NO 7th Cav carbines have been identified in batch one, and clearly not all of the numbers in the second and third ranges were carbines, in contrast to batch one, which was nearly all carbines

30,000 rifles, and few cadet rifles were made at the same general time, but they did like to run liike items in bunches. We have about 5% of the records, overall, so where the other 95% were used is anyone's guess.

If all correct and unaltered, you have an interesting and potentially valuable gun. What can you tell us about it?


Responses


Post a New Response

Your Name:

E-Mail Address:

Subject:

Please answer the riddle feature to prevent spam:    4 + 17 + 3 =

Message:



Return to the Trapdoor Collector home page via this link.