Trapdoor Collector Discussion Board

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Previous | Previous in Thread | Next in Thread | Next ]


Re: Finally starting my project

Posted by Dick Hosmer on Friday, 30 January 2015, at 11:23 a.m., in response to Re: Finally starting my project, posted by Art Todd on Friday, 30 January 2015, at 10:50 a.m.

Hi Art,

In your case, I would not start with an 1888 stock, because the forend groove is already WAY too wide. Even a normal stock is a bit wider than the proper TRB item. Yes, I know that raises the problem of the butt trap, wich I would solve by using the rear of your 88 and finding a regular forend - putting a splice at the lower band.

I got super lucky with my parts. Al had a junk stock a few years back which I jumped on. It was a long-wristed musket one which had been rounded off at the breech and shortened for some sort of cadet. It is just long enough to do what I want, and will be PERFECT for the 1882, which has just such a stock.

As to the tool, I took a small, fine-toothed hand saw with reversible handle turned up, and clamped (bolted) some steel strapping around the back of the blade, to stiffen it and give me another handle. It is SLOW work, but, so far so good. In my application, I need to cut all the way back to the band, but you will need to stop about 5" short of it. A benefit to splicing as I suggested would be that you could work the cut from both ends.


Responses


Post a New Response

Your Name:

E-Mail Address:

Subject:

Please answer the riddle feature to prevent spam:    13 + 7 + 0 =

Message:



Return to the Trapdoor Collector home page via this link.