Trapdoor Collector Discussion Board
[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Previous | Next ]
Carbine # 137119
Posted by David Wrikeman on Wednesday, 29 October 2014, at 8:14 p.m.
Ref. carbine is an apparent 1879 with the following features:
1. Lock plate dtd 1873.
2. Breech is barrel diameter with no "step" in the stock.
3. Cartouche is SWP with illegible date.
4. 3 piece rod present in butt.
5. Case-hardened block and receiver. (No Star by SN)
6. Receiver is stamped "Mass". (Rack # 43 on butt)
7. No apparent Circle P. (Stock has been boned)
8. Definitely a carbine stock with no rod channel, cleanly inletted saddle bar ring.
9. 1200 yard rear sight with "C" mark.
I bought it from an elderly gentleman who revealed that he had purchased it years ago from the Mass. National Guard. I am a 50 year collector of US longarms and feel that it is correct and has been together a long time. The gun is overall NRA Ex Fine - Exc. with 95% blue and 80-85% slightly thinning case. The condition of all parts is consistent. I originally thought it was an 1877 but for the srial range and the SWP inspection. Any insight would be appreciated.
David Wrikeman LTC, USAR (ret)
Post a New Response
Return to the Trapdoor Collector home page via this link.