Trapdoor Collector Discussion Board

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Previous | Next in Thread | Next ]

Cleaning rod vs. Ramrod

Posted by Jeff on Saturday, 29 September 2012, at 11:15 a.m.

Cleaning rod vs. Ramrod

I am writing to request clarification on a question which I imagine keeps on rearing it head from time to time. What do you call this steel rod that comes equipped with the Springfield rifle. On page 60 of Waite and Ernstís book and on page 99 of Poyer and Rieschís book, it is clear that though these rods are slotted and look like cleaning rods, their more specific use was for ramming a stuck shell casing out of the chamber. I guess the slot was there only for a field expedient cleaning but due to the hardness of the steel rod relative to that of the bore, the wood rod was preferred. I have two question please:

1. What was the correct Armory/Army nomenclature for this item, a ram rod or a cleaning rod?

2. What is the acknowledged and accepted nomenclature for this item among Trapdoor collectors today? Ramrod or cleaning rod?

Thanks, Jeff


Post a New Response

Your Name:

E-Mail Address:


Please answer the riddle feature to prevent spam:    2 (plus+) 14 (equals =)


Return to the Trapdoor Collector home page via this link.