Trapdoor Collector Discussion Board

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Previous | Previous in Thread | Next in Thread | Next ]


Posted by Steve on Sunday, 28 August 2011, at 12:17 a.m., in response to Re: H&R OFFICERS MODEL SERIAL DATE?, posted by Larry Gibson on Friday, 29 July 2011, at 1:25 p.m.

I broke down and installed my sling after all. It's a handmade horsehair sling with a sort of geometric indian pattern in black and white, and I do think it looks like something might have used back in the day. Leather and genuine horsehair is pretty Old West in my book, and I antiqued the brass hardware with brass black which I rubbed off before oiling it to give it a nice patina. The way I installed the sling was to mount the sling swivel screw into the wood grip adapter I got from Dixie Gun Works, which is made by PPedersoli. It fit the H&R about perfectly, and the soft mat finish on the wood looks like a hand rubbed oil finish. Since I stripped the original H&R gloss finish off the stock and refinished it with boiled linseed oil, it matches the wood very well. Looks like it came that way from the factory. Anyway, to mount the front end of the sling, I drilled a hole through the cleaning rod just in front of where it is exposed in front of the forend. I made a brass tube with a hole in it to reinforce that area of the cleaning rod, so the sling swivel pin goes through both the brass tube and the cleaning rod. I antiques the brass rod with brass black as well. I know it sounds like it would be very weak in that area, but it is actually quite strong, both for carrying and using as a shooting aid. I have shot it since the install, using the sling and locking it fairly tightly in my hands. Because I mounted the front of the sling so close to where the cleaning rod enters the forarm, it is actually quite strudy. After putting 30 rounds through it, I checked it carefully and it shown no sign of spltining or any other type of stress failure. I also modified the breech lock cam bu drilling into the shaft about 1/16th", which allowed me to seat the set screw well into the shaft to prevent any slipping of the shaft. After drilling, I cleaned the inside the hole thoroughly several times with alcohol to degrease it before reinstalling the set screw with red locktight. In addition, I scribed a witness line at the exposed part of the shaft and thumbpiece so I have a visual indication if the two ever start to shift position. I still have the rifle in the white which I continue to find pleasing, but I may someday decide to give it an old fashioned rust blue (or browning as they originally called it at Springfield) with the aid of some sort of steam cabinet or taking it in the bathroom with me for an extra long extra hot steamy shower. I've already used the shower steam method to antique an 1858 Remington Richards conversion revolver, along with the help of some vinegar, salt, and mustard. You can also use some ketchup in the antiquing process, but thats another story and I have no intention of subjecting my Officer's Model to that level of abuse. Well, I have to go now. I want to thank all of the contributors who share their expertise and ideas in this forum. I really enjoy it, and have found this and some of the other gun forums to be a great and enjoyable resource for this wonderful hobby and passion we all share. Thank you all!


Post a New Response

Your Name:

E-Mail Address:


Please answer the riddle feature to prevent spam:    13 (plus+) 5 (equals =)


Return to the Trapdoor Collector home page via this link.