Trapdoor Collector Discussion Board

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Previous | Previous in Thread | Next in Thread | Next ]

Re: type of rod?

Posted by Al Frasca on Monday, 6 December 2010, at 7:12 p.m., in response to Re: type of rod?, posted by John Gross on Monday, 6 December 2010, at 7:04 p.m.

With respect to the face of the ramrods, the M73 rods were made with a flat face. In April and May of 1878, Springfield converted to the M78 rod. During that period, the armorers reported "Cupping Rods, ROA" which means they cupped soom of the old rods. During that same period, you will find some M78 rods in rifles that were not cupped. Springfield continued to cup some of the early rods in stock, but discontinued the process a few months later.


Post a New Response

Your Name:

E-Mail Address:


Please answer the riddle feature to prevent spam:    8 (plus+) 3 (equals =)


Return to the Trapdoor Collector home page via this link.